This year is not the first time I’ve gifted Dad with the Jack Black Turbo Body Bar Scrubbing Soap
with Blue Lotus & Lava Rock. I hate to be repetitive but it is just such a hit every time. There is something guys love about that deep, exfoliating clean. And I can’t say I blame them. I am considering picking up a bar for myself!
This deep-cleansing bar removes build-up and can reveal healthier looking skin. Like their other Turbo products, the scent is revitalizing and masculine. While the lava rock exfoliates, Shea and Murumuru butters and hydrate and nourish skin.
Man, this week was long. But I was happy to peace out a little early today and enjoy an afternoon with the pups getting ready for some snow tonight. And I happen to have perfect timing because today is National Bubble Bath Day. Sadly, my apartment doesn’t have a bathtub, but frankly I prefer showers. And they are always accompanied by Neutrogena Rainbath. This week must be the week of “favorites” because Neutrogena also is hands down my favorite Shower Gel. Classic and just so good.
The scent is unique – very clean but somewhat woodsy. It manages to finish so fresh and is perfect for an AM wake up. The lather is substantial but doesn’t try out my skin. And somehow, my skin always manages to look hydrated and refreshed.
On a cold winter day back in 2002, my friend and I were wandering New York City and popped in a Sephora to warm up. Actually, I didn’t even need to use the excuse of cold weather to duck into the beauty mecca. I love shopping at Sephora when I am in New York and always have – our store here in Tulsa is a ways from home and frankly just not quite the same. It was on that visit to Sephora years ago that I found my love for Korres.
I am currently testing yet another new favorite, the Korres Milk Bar. With all the testing and trying I do, I was eager to use this mild soap as my skin can become easily irritated. And regular readers know I can’t resist a great lather. What’s special about this bar (and the entire Korres Milk line) is that it cleanses and heals. The proteins from the milk reduce inflammation. In addition, almond oil works to nourish and moisturize. The natural emollient keeps skin looking supple and young. My skin is left totally clean but still hydrated. And this bar, like all Korres products, is so beautifully packaged and make for pretty gifts.
You probably aren’t shocked to find out my shower is full to the brim with beauty goodies. Every day, I grab for something different. But there are those favorites that I keep buying again and again, using every bit to the very last drop. Here’s my current shower MVP list:
H2O Plus Sparkling Currant Shower & Bath Gel is doing a darn good job getting me ready for spring time. The fruity, invigorating scent reminds me of being at the beach in high school without any of the cloying sweetness. The Black Currant Extract and Fruit Enzymes improve skin tone and texture. The best part? The Vitamin E capsules – tiny, jelly like balls that burst with just a bit of pressure that add crazy softness to my skin.
Tokyo Milk Eiffel Tower Soap from Neiman Marcus are almost too pretty to use. But eventually, I couldn’t resist and ripped that pretty paper to reveal a heafty bar of delicious smelling soap. The triple milled soap is made from a pure vegetable base and scented with the finest perfume. I get great lather while Shea Butter provide moisture. The Eiffel Tower scent is a blend of Linden, Honeyed rose, Wisteria petals and White musk.
Mario Badescu Enzyme Cleansing Gel is my new go-to shower face cleanser. While it doesn’t have my beloved foaming action, I love the way it can remove every bit of makeup and dirt. It has a fairly strong floral, cucumber-like scent – sounds odd, but it is actually delightful. Papaya and Grapefruit Extracts are provide exfoliating Alpha Hydroxy Acids to deep clean pores. Love using this with my Clarisonic.
Neutrogena Shampoo, Anti-Residue Formula is a relatively new addition and I constantly scratch my head why the classic formula didn’t make its way into my shower sooner. My hair was looking a little dull – no excuse for that – I never color it and always use this heat defense serum. Well, the problem was residue. Used once a week, this shampoo and remove all that gunk from shampoos, conditioners and styling products.
I recently passed along some samples of scrub soap along to beau beau, my male guinea pig. After trying them out for a couple weeks, he couldn’t help but rave. So much so that I needed to hunt some down for myself. These soaps slough skin with physical exfoliators like oat bran. I was concerned about irritation, but these guys both got my skin extraordinarily clean without injuring delicate areas. It was so helpful in tackling dry elbows, feel and backs of arms.
Kiehl’s Ultimate Man Body Scrub Soap may technicallly be a men’s product, but ladies, you will want to borrow this one. It is designed for thicker skin, with natural oat bran, oat kernal and pumice. The soap itself has a refreshing scent and lathers while you work on your tougher skin. I prefer this to the standard pumice as it cleans and is slightly gentler. For those of you with men who have rough skin, this will soften without leaving an overly feminine fragrance.
If you prefer a little more bang for your buck, Bliss Mammoth Minty Scrub Soap is an ENORMOUS bar of soap that is well designed, effective and refreshing. Not only is the bar large, but it is hard-milled making it extra long lasting. Jojoba beads offer a gentler exfoliation. And the mint oil make it superbly refreshing.
Jack Black, of lip balm fame, makes a ‘Turbo Body Bar™’ Scrubbing Soap that offers that deep clean men seem to crave. There is a good amount of lather and hydration (murumuru and shea butters) in this bar, along with exfoliation. The scent is invigorating with natural blue lotus and ginkgo biloba making it a dream for early mornings. Natural lava rock is a hefty but gentle exfoliator.
Here’s a round-up of some of my favorite skin-savers I have found this summer:
1. Bliss Blood Orange+White Pepper Soapy Suds: I love a good lather (especially after a hot day), and bliss does it right. But at the same time, it doesn’t dry out your skin. They throw in aloe and vitamin E so soften your skin. I love this for a spicy bath, but it also works great in the shower. And the scent can’t be beat.
2. VI Derm Exfoliating Body Wash with 15% Glycolic and Body Lotion with 15% Glycolic: Those nasty red bumps on my arms and legs are never pleasant. But they are especially bothersome in the summer with tanks, swimsuits and shorts de rigueur. I used KP Duty this winter with some success, but my new favorite weapon against Keratosis Pilaris (50% of Americans have it) is glycolic in the form of body wash and lotion from VI Medical. The citrus scent is delightful and this stuff works wonders. Be careful – glycolic can make you more sensitive to the sun’s harmful rays.
3. AHAVA Mineral Suncare Sun Protection Anti-Aging Moisturizer, SPF 50: You have already heard me go on and on about quality sun care protection and how necessary it is. So I won’t repeat here. But what I also love about this sunscreen is the addition of minerals, vitamins and moisturizing agents. It takes the anti-aging mission a step further and makes my skin look better.
4. Giovanni Cool Mint Lemon Salt Scrub with Crushed Mint Leaves: This vegetarian scrub is like magic. Not only does it smooth, soothe and regenerate skin in the shower. It continues to cool skin long after you have dried off. This has to be an all time summer MVP, especially during these triple digit days down here in Oklahoma.
5. SKIN SO SOFT Bug Guard Plus Picaridin Towelettes: Bugs hate me and I hate them. Not only do they love to bite me, but I tend to have the most unattractive reaction with itchiness and red bumps. This travel-safe repellant has been my savior. It is completely effective, doesn’t smell obnoxious and keeps those suckers (literally) away.