I have great appreciation for Pantone and their annual “color of the year”. I couldn’t have been more enthusiastic about 2013’s selection, Emerald. But I need to be honest here. I felt like their 2014 selection, Radiant Orchid, was out of nowhere. I couldn’t wrap my head around the ultra-femine and somewhat dated shade. But I leaned into it, started playing with purples, lilacs and violets. And color me wrong. The regal and mysterious shade is actually quite captivating. “Radiant Orchid reaches across the color wheel to intrigue the eye and spark the imagination,” said Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute. Now, that I can get behind. This morning, I am on FOX 23’s Great Day Green Country discussing my favorite beauty buys that had my falling for Radiant Orchid.
Am I the only one who was thrown by Pantone’s announcement that Radiant Orchid is the color of the year for 2014? I have nothing against purple, but I am still trying to come to terms with this ultra-feminine shade. Seeing this image inspired me to embrace the trend. I love the way the purple lips look with her icy hair. Anyhoo… let me know if you have thoughts. And here are some gems from around the web:
- Love this gauzy poncho from Free People and it is finally back in stock!
- As a carb lover, I was thrilled to read this.
- NO WAY. My favorite track pants now come in sequins!
- Love this round-up of ten ingredients to avoid in your beauty products.
- Major props to this blogger addressing caring for our lady parts (hilariously).
- Anyone getting their shopping on? Here are some killer sales happening this weekend:
Space NK has a 50% off sale on brands like Tocca, By Terry and Kevyn Aucoin
Alert! Last Call at Neiman Marcus means up to 65% off
End of season sale at Shopbop with prices up to 70% off
40% off the sale section at Madewell with code COZYUP through 1/13
30% off at Gap with code GAPNEW through today
40% off already-reduced clearance at Express through 1/16
Take 10% off at Urban Outfitters with code GETFRESH10 through 1/13
It might not sound like a big deal, but keep in mind 2012’s color of the year, Tangerine Tango, was found all over runways, magazines and Main Street USA. Today, Pantone announced 2013’s color of the year: PANTONE® 17-5641 Emerald, a lively, radiant, lush green. To me, this brillant green conjures fertility, rebirth and freshness. “The perception of Emerald is sophisticated and luxurious. Since antiquity, this luminous, magnificent hue has been the color of beauty and new life in many cultures and religions. It’s also the color of growth, renewal and prosperity”.
While I don’t wear it much makeup-wise, I love it in my closet. Tracey Reese, Nanette Lepore, Barbara Tfank, NAHM and Marimekko all used Emerald into their spring collections. On our vanity, “Emerald dramatizes all eye colors as it beautifully enhances green eyes, is compatible to blue eyes, emphasizes the green undertone in hazel eyes and intensifies brown eyes to make them appear deeper.” I already can’t wait to pick up an eyeshadow to celebrate the shade. On nails, jewel tones are already the hot shades (check out Estee Lauder Viper).
love this Instagram posted by Bare Minerals earlier today celebrating the shade
In March, the SEPHORA + PANTONE UNIVERSE 2013 Color of the Year beauty collection featuring PANTONE 17-5641 Emerald will be available at Sephora. Past Colors of the Year include:
- PANTONE 17-1463 Tangerine Tango (2012)
- PANTONE 18-2120 Honeysuckle (2011)
- PANTONE 15-5519 Turquoise (2010)
- PANTONE 14-0848 Mimosa (2009)
- PANTONE 18-3943 Blue Iris (2008)
- PANTONE 19-1557 Chili Pepper (2007)
- PANTONE 13-1106 Sand Dollar (2006)
- PANTONE 15-5217 Blue Turquoise (2005)
- PANTONE 17-1456 Tigerlily (2004)
- PANTONE 14-4811 Aqua Sky (2003)
- PANTONE 19-1664 True Red (2002)
- PANTONE 17-2031 Fuchsia Rose (2001)
- PANTONE 15-4020 Cerulean (2000)