I’m fascinated with celebrities’ glowing, even skin on the red carpets. I know, largely, this can be attributed to their makeup artists. But there is a tool that I have discovered that definitely can play a big part in prepping. In fact, GlamGlow was designed as a ‘facial in a jar’ to achieve an ‘immediate’ camera-ready glowing skin. And it is a “must have” for those big event evenings, even if you aren’t a Hollywood A-lister.
GlamGlow is made from mud from Southern France and contains pieces of tea leaf to help exfoliate and deliver antioxidants. It tightens skin and minimizing pores but without drying. My skin actually feels smoother and softer – a great prep for camera-ready makeup. The exfoliation doesn’t offend my easily irritated skin
I use mine in the tub, max twice weekly. I personally save mine for specially occasions. Apply an even thin layer to clean skin. It drastically changes color as it dries, letting you know when it is ready to rinse off. Remove mask with water in circular motions to exfoliate.
At one time, peels required a doctor’s visit, inspired fear and often disappointed on results. Not to mention the healing time required afterward. Today, peels have transformed into a satisfying step in skin care that you can do at home with next day results! I’ve heard so much banter on the twitter waves lately about these products, that I had to share my favorites.
- Glamglow isn’t a peel in the name, but accomplishes many of the same goals. And it is no longer an underground cult favorite – Glamglow was a Neiman Marcus Beauty Award Winner in2012! It is popular in Hollywood, but the mud base hails from Southern France, home to glamorous Cannes, St. Tropez and Monaco. Glamglow was a proprietary technology that allows ‘Super-Squalene’, a moisturizer, and ‘EGCG Super-Antioxidants’ direct into the mud from the pieces of tea leaves. This can be quite granular, so be gentle, but you will not believe your glow afterwards.
- Sulwhasoo Skin Clarifying Mask (also technically not a peel, but I had to include it since you peel it off) is a very gentle and very gratifying way to lift out impurities and dead skin cells to detoxify and clarify dull, devitalized, and problem skin. Korean medicinal herbs on in this honey like formula that you allow to dry on your face and then literally peel off. This is better for those who lean to the oilier side of skin.
- Dr. Dennis Gross Skinare Alpha Beta Daily Face Peel is a peel designed for daily use because it is so gentle. I love the simple two step proccess: simply wipe the face with a pad from Step 1, wait two minutes, then repeat with Step 2. This stuff can stand up to any problem: fights wrinkles, balances oil, tones skin, increases clarity and radiance, and calms redness.
- For those with sensitive skin try Natura Bisse NB Ceutical Tolerance Enzyme Peel reviewed here. Instead of glycolic or lactic acid, this Peel uses enzymes. It has a great texture that is rubbed in until it liquifies. My skin looked brighter and more even immediately after I used it. There was absolutely no tingling at all.
- La Prairie Cellular Resurfacing 3-Minute Peel is a little more active. I could feel tingling, but wasn’t left with any redness. They recommend using this once a week, which I would adhear to. La Prairie is serious about the inclusion of “professional level” exfoliants, including AHAs, BHA, Salicylic Acid and Mixed Fruit Acids. The skin is retexturized by the removal of surface debris. My skin was incredibly smooth and evened after using.
- Kate Somerville Micro Glycolic Polisher uses both glycolic AND lactic acid work together to promote surface cell turnover, gently and effectively. At the same time, she added anti-aging to leave us with a youthful glow. Can it get any better? Blue Lotus extract delivers anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant benefits to calm skin and fight against free-radical damage. This doesn’t cause my skin to tingle at all and I can see immediate results.And I’m already hooked on Felicia’s, Bergdorf’s Social Media Beauty Editor, trick: “Add one pump of Micro Glycolic Polisher to your regular night time moisturizer for a little overnight mild exfoliation. Wake up glowy.
- Kate Somerville also makes Clinic-To-Go™ Resurfacing Peel Pads which are genius for travelling. When I first started using them, I did get a little tingle. No more. I love having these around for the evening after a long airplane ride or the night before an early morning important meeting.
Do you use a peel?